Custom Charter / Survey Vessel
Pelican was designed by her current owners with naval architect Murray Isles and built by Pelican Expeditions for their own use, under the supervision of Marine Safety Victoria. No expense or trouble has been spared. She is a composite construction using only the best materials, West system epoxy resin, cedar planked hulls and end-grain balsa superstructure. She is designed to be maintained and repaired independently of any facilities for long periods and to have back up equipment for every important system on board. She is fast under sail, efficient under engines, and has proven herself on numerous occasions in storm conditions as a safe reliable platform. Every aspect of her design is calculated to maximize safety, flexibility and comfort at sea.
Her original survey was 1B-25, 1C-45, 1D-65 persons including crew.
Current survey is 2B-18, 1C-33, 1D-45 but she can immediately be returned to her original survey with addition of required safety equipment.
Re-surveyed to 1A status is possible but for all purposes to date this has been unnecessary.
• 12 watertight compartments to maintain way even after major hull damage.
• Up to 20 berths in 8 cabins she can accommodate a small community of people.
• Downstairs galley in the port hull leaves the central deck clear for expedition business.
• The covered deck area seats up to 30 people in a circle making it an ideal ocean classroom, conference facility or expedition operations centre.
• Her fully enclosed wheelhouse provides comfort for long passages at sea.
• Two rigid inflatables which can be deployed or retrieved under way or in rough seas.
• Articulated stairs at the stern can be lowered to ground level when she is sitting on the hard or provide easy access to the water.
• A large ramp at the stern can be lowered into the water to facilitate launching or retrieval of equipment or divers, or raised to provide a convenient work platform.
• All aft work stations and water access systems are visible from the helm position.
• All vessel, navigation and weather data can be accessed wirelessly anywhere on board as well as data collection programs integrated into the vessel.
• Excellent sailing performance (15–20kts) thanks to narrow hulls and light displacement.
• She can easily carry several tons extra weight without excessive loss of performance.
• Bridge deck clearance is 1.2 m loaded, which eliminates slamming.
• Stub keels to protect engine legs and rudders, and to facilitate beaching.
• Draft is only 1.2 metres which allows her to work with confidence in shallow water.
• Twin 50hp Volvo diesel sail drives enable speeds to 10 knots.
• Very economical cruising speed 6 kts at 3 litres/hr.
• Well in excess of 1000 nm range on engines.
• Ozspar mast, Simrad electronics and Lewmar hatches, ports, winches and deck gear.
• Sails by Col Anderson of Doyle Sails
• Refinements and modifications since launch including:
- Floor splash protection,
- Full weather cover over communal area that allows fresh airflow.
- New stern design / refit.
- Brand new sails in 2017
- New standing rigging 2017
The current owner/skipper/builder/designer/manager will be available if required to support a new owner with the benefit of his knowledge of the vessel.
Delivery free of charge to anywhere in the world to the successful purchaser.
|Designer:||McKechnie / Isles|
|Builder:||Saltwater Proj / Supervision Marine Safety, VIC|
|Hull Material:||Timber Cedar Strip Epoxy|
|Deck Material:||Ply / FRP - Beams Mountain Ash Epoxy|
|Engine:||Twin Volvo Penta 50 HP Diesel Engines|
|Engine Make:||Volvo Penta|
|HorsePower:||2 x 50 HP|
|Fuel Consumption:||3 Lph|
|Max Speed:||15 - 25 Knots|
|Cruise Speed:||6 Knots|
|Propulsion:||Gorey 3-Blade Folding|
|Genset:||Kubota 24V Inverter|
|Fuel Capacity:||800 Litres|
|WaterCapacity:||1,100 Litres (650 Litres Port, 450 Litres Starboard)|
|Galley:||LAYOUT: Dedicated U-Shaped
STORAGE: Cupboards + Adjustable dining space for 6
|Refrigeration:||360 Litre Danfoss|
|Freezer:||115 Litre Danfoss|
|WaterMaker:||120 Lph Dolphin|
|Hot Water System:||2 x 30 Litre|
|Accommodation:||SALOON: Open deck. Seats 16 at tables. 30+
|Cabins:||8 x Total (4 x double + Single, 2 x double, 1 x Single, 1 x Triple).|
|Toilet:||2 plus Holding Tank|
|Dinghy:||4.3 m C/C, 3.4 m Rib|
|Outboard:||30 HP Yamaha, 3.3 HP Merc|
|Ground Tackle:||ANCHOR WINCH: Electric / Manual
REMOTE: Aft foredeck
ANCHOR: 2 x 65 Kg
CHAIN: 110 m
|Safety Gear:||DANBUOY: Yes
|Bilge Pumps:||14 Comp Auto / Manual for Survey|
|Life Raft:||25 Pax|
|Fire Protection:||Ext plus|
|Electrics:||LIGHTING: LED Lights
SHORE POWER: 240V
INVERTER: 2 x 300W
BATTERIES: House: 8 x Batteries 400 ah @ 24V. Engine: 2 x Batteries. Genset: 1 x Battery
WIND GENERATOR: 2 x Mast tops
PLOTTER: Simrad CA44
AUTO PILOT: Simrad AP21
WIND INSTRUMENTS: Simrad (Gauges not working but all wifi & ipad)
RADIOS: VHF IC-M4025, MF/HF IC-M710AUS
|Sail Inventory:||Main (New 2017), Mizzen, 2 x Genoas (New 2017), 1 x Staysail (New 2017).|
|Mast/Rigging:||RIG TYPE: Ketch rigged
RIG AGE: Upgraded 2017
LAZY JACKS: Yes
|Deck Gear:||Mizzen boom designed as a crane, 9 x Lewmar winches (self-tailing), 2 x 64, 7 x 48.|
|Survey:||Built to survey for: 1B 25 persons, 1C 45 persons, 1D 65 persons.|